Wednesday 8 April 2009

'Surdevan Creative' Visit and Portfolio Critique

I contacted Surdevan Creative via email:


(No Subject)
From: philip o'connor (philoc7@hotmail.com)
Sent: 06 April 2009 14:21:56
To: info@surdevancreative.com
Hello Surdevan Creative,


I'm Phil O’Connor and I am currently a 3rd year studying a Multimedia Degree at Stockport College.


At the moment I am currently working on my Major Project which is a live action piece and also reworking a self directed brief (music video concept). After looking at your portfolio and noticing the wide range of skills within your work, I was wondering if possible, if there is a chance to show you my work in progress to get some feedback. This would be a great help to improve my work and gain some advice.



Thank you for your time,


Phil O’Connor

After sending this email, John Surdevan Director/producer replied saying:



From: john@surdevancreative.com
To: philoc7@hotmail.com
Subject: Re:
Date: Mon, 6 Apr 2009 16:55:12 +0100

Hi Phil,

Might have some time wednesday afternoon if you want to pop in then. Will you be bringing DVDs or a laptop?

J

From this I replied:

On 6 Apr 2009, at 19:26, philip o'connor wrote:

Hi John,

Yeh Wednesday afternoon (8/4/09) would be great, was planning on bringing my laptop?

What time would be best for you? (I'm free anytime)

Thanks again

Phil


John then replied and confirmed saying:


Re: RE:
From: John Surdevan (john@surdevancreative.com)
Sent: 07 April 2009 12:54:15
To: philip o'connor (philoc7@hotmail.com)
4ish I think - give me a ring about 2 to confirm we can both do it.

Laptop is fine.

Look forward to meeting you

Cheers

J
John Surdevan
Director/Producer | 07960 126 569 | john@surdevancreative.com | www.surdevancreative.com
Surdevan Creative | Randolph House | 37 - 41 Longshut Lane West | Stockport | SK2 6RX

'Surdevan Creative' Visit and Portfolio Critique

After speaking to John on the phone and confirming the times I then went to meet him. I had my portfolio critique on the 8th of April 2009. For me this was a very informal and casual meeting. John reviewed my work and gave some some great feed back. It was interesting to visit a small studio after visiting such companies as double negative and studio aka.

The visits to the larger companies raised conversations about creative freedom and how studios handle briefs and clients. John described how the majority of his work comes from reputation and word of mouth, saying that working in the area he does people and other agencies would pass his information.

He explained that he is still taking on pop promo briefs for unsigned and emerging bands but recently over the past year or so he has been directing a team of people shooting live concerts and gigs. He moved on to explain that through his company he recruits and directs a range of free lance works who specialize in certain areas, such as cinema photography or experienced camera men. He described some of the creative boundaries he has come across working on certain briefs. Saying that sometime a client will have full input in to the concepts and know what they want and other times your left to do something you want. He then explained that even working to a strict brief he tries to give the best advise for the piece resulting in him sometimes to put his own creative spin on things.

Ultimately the portfolio critique was successful for me as I got some critical feedback which overall helped. It was interesting to here his views, how he works and handles clients when compared to other studios I have bin to. Obviously as his work seemed to be from reputation and reoccurring clients he didn't talk about pitching and suggested he has a meeting with clients and waits to see how it develops. Overall it was an interesting meet, and I gain further knowledge of different working environments, from this meeting John told me to keep in touch n said that if I am interested there possibly could be an opportunity for work experience.

After having a portfolio critique with John he told me to keep in touch so i sent a follow up email to keep the contact ongoing. here is the email:


hello Again
From: philip o'connor (philoc7@hotmail.com)
Sent: 23 April 2009 16:14:05
To: John Surdevan (john@surdevancreative.com)
Hi John,

Sorry for the delayed message.
Ive bin back in to uni after Easter and you were right, Rick and Christina was happily surprised when i told them i had a portfolio crit with you. They said its good to hear your doing well and got your own company going, and to get in touch.

At the moment I'm starting to finish some final edits of my advert for the British Heart Foundation, its starting come along now!

Thanks for the portfolio crit, it was good meeting you and the feedback was really helpful.

The end of year show is in June, not sure what the start and end dates are just yet but if your interested in coming along i can let you know?

(Each 3rd year will exhibit their major project and other material such as showreels etc. So should be really interesting and have some nice stuff on show.)

Thanks Again, keep in touch

Phil

No comments: