Wednesday 15 April 2009

Peter Saville Q & A













http://www.vimeo.com/3622243

I recently discovered a Question and Answer interview on Vimeo. The q & a session with Peter Saville is in front of the media, designers and others who ask Peter Saville a range of questions about him self as a designer and about the design industry. The question and answer session is split into several different sections as follows.

What is that?
In which Saville discusses his art work over the past 10 years. How he has developed and struggled to change from design to art.

What inspires you?
Talks about his previous inspirations and how they have changed through his career.

What’s wrong with design education?
Discusses his view on design education.

Has the computer democratized design?
How things have developed in design from the absence of computer technology to the development of the internet and a the ability to create and dispatch work. This is a discussion of positives and negatives.

What is your favorite part of the brief?
Discusses briefs and the interesting parts.

What do you think of Banksy?
Quick Q & A about Saville’s view on Banksy’ work.


Out these sections I related to his answer to “What is wrong with design education?”

I felt what his views that he discussed were reflective of some of the questions I have been asking myself as a design student about to graduate.

Saville explained his history as a young designer saying that he “felt intimidated by the potential and possibility of London, and as such had to try harder because we were coming to london from the north. We feared we wouldn't be good” After having a trip to London I felt that I too shared this intimidation and slight fear of London due to the reputation of it as a city. But after the visit I felt that this intimidation and fear was no longer there. Therefore the environment of the design industry might of changed since Savilles experiences. He moves on to explain that the “Danger for student in hub cities like London and new york is one of complacency. There are pro’s and cons for where you come from.” In this I think he means that students from big cities in which there are well proven colleges some times can have the feeling that they are superior to others, when in fact they are not. In a way I could relate to what Peter Saville was suggesting and this helped me evaluate my experience in London.

He moves on to explain that “Design education is complicated and I don’t really no the point of 50,000 design graduates is every year. I was external assessor for 7 years, the most challenging thing for design educators is how to stay in touch with the reality of the industry that you are preparing the students for. Its really hard when your in side an academic institution to know what the people you are preparing are going to need when they go out. The most demanding thing is equipping students with what they need when they graduate.”

I also felt that his view on the relationship of students and the industry (although referring to the Teaching side) I could also relate to. I feel that over the last two years, through the 2nd year and the 3rd year, I have steadily gained knowledge of the industry. This initial knowledge is a result from contacting and visiting companies and practitioners, reviewing issues within the design industry and lastly analyzing and taking inspiration from industry standard work. I found that my second year Logbook in which I started contacting companies and designers gave me confidence and inspiration. This confidence continued through into this Blog and I have found that from visits, contacts and portfolio critiques I have gained a further knowledge of the industry. The blog as a whole has helped me understand and narrow down disciplines and working environments within design that I would gratefully work in. How ever I still have slight fears in regards to the working in the industry. My portfolio critiques and studio visits have given me confidence to progress, but I know I don’t have experience within the industry yet and I think the intimidation of the industry (not just London) will be a little fearful until I gain experience.

No comments: