Thursday 9 April 2009

Pixel DNA

In December last year I contacted “Pixel DNA” to try n organize a portfolio critique and ultimately result in having a contact within the industry.

Pixel DNA are a company working within Design, illustration, and motion. They work within these area using 2d and 3d design/animation and motion graphics to provide print and screen based media both still and moving image. Some of their clients include channel 4, Lloyds tsp, Royal Academy of Music, and many more.

















I contacted Pixel DNA on the 11th of December saying:


(No Subject) From: philip o'connor (philoc7@hotmail.com) Sent: 11 December 2008 20:58:44 To: info@pixel-dna.com Hello Pixel DNA, I'm Philip O’Connor and I am currently studying a Multimedia Degree at Stockport College. At the moment I am creating a self-directed moving image project and also producing a live competition brief for YCN. I was wondering if possible, if there is a chance to show you my work in progress to get gain some feedback. This would be a great help to improve my work and gain some advice. Thank you for your time, Phil O’Connor

From this email Marc Tingle from Pixel DNA replied saying:

Re:
From: Marc Tingle | Pixel DNA (marc@pixel-dna.com)
Sent: 12 December 2008 12:50:10
To: philip o'connor (philoc7@hotmail.com)

Hi Philip,

Thanks for getting in touch. I'd be happy to take a look at the projects you mention and offer any feedback. Are you able to provide a link for me to view online?

Kind Regards
Marc

Design | Illustration | Motion

Pixel DNA Limited
32 Wellcarr Road
Woodseats
Sheffield
S8 8QQ

Tel: 0114 22 02 337


From this email I then replied trying to push a meet, I felt I was being to brazen and maybe come across bold trying to push for a meeting but that is what I was aiming for.


RE:
From: philip o'connor (philoc7@hotmail.com)

Sent: 13 December 2008 11:50:51
To: marc@pixel-dna.com


Hi Marc,


Thanks for your reply. I'm sorry to say that my online portfolio is still under construction at the moment.
Would it be possible to come into Pixel DNA some time after the new year. I would greatly appreciate any of your time, feedback and advice.

Many Thanks Philip


Re:
From: Marc Tingle | Pixel DNA (marc@pixel-dna.com)
Sent: 13 December 2008 12:23:28

To: philip o'connor (philoc7@hotmail.com)


Hi Philip,
We do have rather a busy diary for December/January, so for the moment I'd rather avoid a meeting. We do get regular enquiries of this nature and so I'm sure you can understand that it isn't always convenient to spend time meeting with people. As I said, I'm more than happy to look at your work and offer any relevant feedback if you can get a copy over to me for me to see? May I recommend the FTP transfer facility called 'yousendit.com' - this would allow you to send larger files such as videos etc... Just a thought.
Kind Regards


Marc
Design | Illustration | Motion Pixel DNA Limited 32 Wellcarr Road Woodseats Sheffield S8 8QQ

Tel: 0114 22 02 337 www.pixel-dna.com

I found Marc very pleasant and I could understand the situation and how busy him and his colleges would be. I think my approach to Pixel DNA worked well in this case and I probably was also quite lucky to contact and get a response from Marc who was helpful. From this contact I will be arranging to get an on line portfolio (website) or some of my work online via a website like Vimeo.

No comments: